Nordic is a pure wool, blended combed top.
Each colour is made of a combination of other colours creating shades that have a wonderfully deep, intense appearance, that work brilliantly together.
Nordic is inspired by the lands across the North Sea and the ancient mythology of the Norse Gods and Goddesses.
In total there are 7 permanent colours in the collection, a mix of warm, cool and neutrals. The pure wool content is perfect for creating warm bouncy accessories and cozy garments. The blend of Merino and Corriedale will be soft enough to wear next to skin, but by using the Corriedale wool the blend has a bit more tooth to it. This fibre has a more open crimp so you can spin a loftier yarn with more life to it than a pure merino blend. As a bonus you'll get less pilling, and items won't wear out as quickly.
I've been developing the colours since the summer, but when I was out taking the photos I couldn't help but spot the similarities in the palette to the ones I was seeing all around me.
The fibres are on order, so will be available to buy very soon, and there will be close-up's of all the colours for you to take a closer look at shortly.
The pattern, is Aranami Shawl. My Ravelry project, together with my notes, and the chart showing how I arranged the colours is here.
One finished sample!
I've been feeling much better so once I'd got my co-ordination back it was a pretty speedy knit.
The pattern is Hap for Harriet by Kate Davies, and is a perfect companion for handspun yarn. I always love the look of garter stitch when knitted in a 2-ply yarn and this pattern is no exception. There's also the bonus that you can use up every scrap of your yarn as you work from one end to the other.
In this case I used nearly all of 200g of the new Merino & Silk base. The yarn was roughly fingering weight, and all I did to compensate for the thicker yarn was use a bigger needle, (4mm but I am a loose knitter).
Kate's instructions give you percentages to make a shawl in the same shape as the original pattern but I just increased until the width seemed right, then worked straight until I ran out of yarn from my first 100g ball. I did exactly the same in reverse which meant I used up pretty much all of my yarn.
Now what a shame that I don't get to wear it, this one is sadly destined for the sample box...